Kicking Off 2008
Carsonified: Boo!
A little bit of Bad News to start off with: Carsonified decided to retract their desk-sharing offer. Ryan said it was because they rejigged their space and wanted a meeting room, but I've a suspicion they didn't get much of a take up on it. Oh well.
Busy Start
In Good News, three clients contacted me in the first week back to line up some work - can't ask for a much better start than that! I'm in the middle of two-weeks "off" whilst I set some business-side things up and prepare for the MySQL exams on the 18th; after that it looks like I'm going to be busy busy busy.
PHP Conference 2008
As a member of PHPLondon I volunteered to help out on the day of the UK PHP Conference.
Paul Morgan (organiser) and I had previously discussed an idea for a talk on "frameworks" - with a couple of evangelists from different frameworks pitching their case followed up by a rountable discussion / debate / QA. It turns out Paul's managed to find some great speakers to make this happen - and has asked me to chair/co-ordinate the talk.
I'm excited and nervous - I've never spoken in front of a crowd before. It's something I'd like to get into and I think this will be a nice, gentle introduction (no pressure on getting asked tricky questions and relatively short stints in the limelight!).
New Branding
My friends, Craig and Martin, from Sugarcane Studio are taking care of my new company's identity/branding. So far I've had a couple of phone conversations with Craig which have really helped to extract the essence of what I want to do / what Pluggable will be offering.
It's a little daunting when you get asked some "hard" questions about why someone would buy from you instead of hundreds of potential competitors - but ultimately a great exercise; It's made me re-think certain aspects and helped to define specifically what I'll be doing.
All in all, a cracking start to 2008 and my first year "going solo" [again!].
A little bit of Bad News to start off with: Carsonified decided to retract their desk-sharing offer. Ryan said it was because they rejigged their space and wanted a meeting room, but I've a suspicion they didn't get much of a take up on it. Oh well.
Busy Start
In Good News, three clients contacted me in the first week back to line up some work - can't ask for a much better start than that! I'm in the middle of two-weeks "off" whilst I set some business-side things up and prepare for the MySQL exams on the 18th; after that it looks like I'm going to be busy busy busy.
PHP Conference 2008
As a member of PHPLondon I volunteered to help out on the day of the UK PHP Conference.
Paul Morgan (organiser) and I had previously discussed an idea for a talk on "frameworks" - with a couple of evangelists from different frameworks pitching their case followed up by a rountable discussion / debate / QA. It turns out Paul's managed to find some great speakers to make this happen - and has asked me to chair/co-ordinate the talk.
I'm excited and nervous - I've never spoken in front of a crowd before. It's something I'd like to get into and I think this will be a nice, gentle introduction (no pressure on getting asked tricky questions and relatively short stints in the limelight!).
New Branding
My friends, Craig and Martin, from Sugarcane Studio are taking care of my new company's identity/branding. So far I've had a couple of phone conversations with Craig which have really helped to extract the essence of what I want to do / what Pluggable will be offering.
It's a little daunting when you get asked some "hard" questions about why someone would buy from you instead of hundreds of potential competitors - but ultimately a great exercise; It's made me re-think certain aspects and helped to define specifically what I'll be doing.
All in all, a cracking start to 2008 and my first year "going solo" [again!].


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home