Sunday, February 17, 2008

Just ordered a Nokia N95 8GB

I've been a fan of mobile phones and related technology/phones for a long time and had been an early adopter until about 2 years ago - which now I think about it coincides with winding up my SMS-related start-up (probably a reason I lost interest).

Until that point I had purchased the "top of the range" handsets and was interested in exploring the new technologies (SMS, WAP, MMS, J2ME etc). 3-G seemed like a long way off reaching a critical mass and smartphones were still more phone than computer. I decided to get myself a "normal phone" rather than upgrade to the latest model and went with an LG Chocolate: the worst phone I've ever had. So for 18 months I've been lumbered with a P.O.S. brick and watched as the latest wave of sexy technology has come around with "real" browsers, wifi, widespread 3G+HSDPA and of course, the iPhone.

My contract expires on the 29th February and I've been weighing up which piece of kit I'm going to get - I'm definitely ready again to embrace the latest and greatest.

About a year ago I switched to using a Mac (MacBook Pro as a desktop replacement) and I do like a bit of Apple and naturally was excited by the iPhone. It does look like a sexy piece of kit but I've been turned off by the "Bad Things" Apple are doing (network lock-ins, stopping people unlocking it, discouraging 3rd-party development), the lack of 3G and the fact that you still have to pay £300 for the handset even when you take on a £35/month contract for 18 months.

The Nokia N95 (8GB) looks like a great "alternative". It has super sexy features: WiFi, 3G, big screen (but still has buttons), amazing camera (static+video) together with a lot of buzz about nice 3rd-party Symbian apps. I looked at a couple of other options but I think i'm in lust with this handset and have ordered one today :-).

I think the clincher was the 3G + HSDPA: I should be able to get a ~3mb/s download speed on my frigging mobile phone! The last time I tried mobile internet I was on GPRS and it was slooooow so I'm really hoping it's going to meet my expectations of a true "mobile internet connection". Couple proper internet with a GPS receiver, WiFi and a network that is PRO VOIP... and I'm sold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home